Subject: How to silence a SparcStation?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Hattemer <c.hattemer@arcor.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/27/2004 17:51:22
Hi,

I've got a SparcStation clone. On the board is written  "Tritec" and "SS120=
",
however the rock-solid metal case has a "transtec" sticker. It reports to b=
e a
SparcStation 20L.

I'd like to make this box a bit more silent, so that it doesn't produce mor=
noise than my other hardware, to which I'm used.

The power supply is made by FDK and has two internal fans. SS10
power supplies with the external fans look much nicer, but don't seem to
fit in here.

Would it help to replace the fans with quieter ones (e. g. Papst)?
The amount of airflow should probably not be reduced, but perhaps it's
possible to archive this with less noise.

I'm asking before giving it a try because I feel rather uncomfortable with
doing this modification. But I could ask for assistance if there are good
experiences with this.

TIA.

Bye, Chris

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verf=FCgbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1