Subject: Re: Performance?
To: NetBSD SPARC list <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/23/2004 22:14:27
Hi,

Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net> wrote:

[...]

> I had apache 1.3.something, MySQL ( without innodb to save memory )
> and PHP4 on a 110MHz MicroSPARC II, no external cache and only 64MB
> RAM - apache started answering requests after a couple of seconds.

I'm still running apche 1.3.x on an SS2 (40MHz, 96MB RAM).

Startup time of apache is round about 2sec, overall performance ist OK
to fill a 2Mbit line. When it comes to perl/PHP, performance certainly
goes down a lot.

> Of course everything was optimized for v8 and low memory,

I installed from pkgsrc, no manual optimizing

> These days the same stuff runs on a 300MHz PowerPC machine,
> performance is much better but startup time isn't really much
> shorter.

I have another apache running on a 2.8GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM, startup
time is also a few seconds. But I admit, cgi performance is much
better ;)

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--