Subject: Re: Mixing port-sparc on 32 and 64 bit hardware
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/11/2004 22:00:30
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 04:37:45PM +0100, Christian Smith wrote:
> Now, my question is, will the sparc64 bootloader work with sparc?

I don't quite understand. The bootloader and kernel have to match your
hardware - if you run on a ultra sparc, you need the sparc64 bootloader
and a sparc64 kernel (which the sparc GENERIC_SUN4U is a variant of).

Next step, but mostly orthogonal, is userland:
 - a 64bit kernel (like the sparc64 GENERIC) can execute both 32bit sparc
   userland and 64bit userland
 - a 32bit kernel (like GENERIC_SUN4U) will only execut 32bit userland

Hope this helps,

Martin