Subject: SS20 with cgfourteen [was Re: What are you using port-sparc for?]
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/2004 00:26:16
>> Well, I'm using my 20 (304MB RAM, cgfourteen fb, ST218275LW disk) as
>> my house mailhost, FTP server, and my main screen-&-keyboard
>> machine.
> how is the cgfourteen working out for you?

Rock-solid.  Of course, I'm using none of the acceleration it has,
because I have no documentation; all I know how to do is flip it
between 8bpp and 24bpp modes, frob the lookup tables, and access it in
the various memory-mapped-framebuffer views it has.  But I certainly
find it usable.

> I have a quad hypersparc ss20 with a 4mb vsimm, and i've found that
> the sx is unstable and or unuseable.  can you get it to work in 24bit
> mode?

Yes; it normally runs that way.  (Since most of my work is in terminal
emulators that are running in 8bpp windows, it spends most of its time
accessing the 8bpp view and has the lookup tables set up for 8bpp
PseudoColor operation.  But when I do 24bpp stuff, it Just Works.

My 20 has only one CPU in it.  Whether this is (part of) why it's
stabler than yours I cannot say.  While you don't say what OS rev
you're running, I am almost certainly running a much older kernel than
you too.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign