Subject: Re: [OT] IPX - Favourite SPARC?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/01/2004 15:17:43
> >The BigMac (and HME) cards are shown as not supported in the IPC, IPX, SS1
> >and SS2.
>
> Not supported, or not working? That's Sun support, and not NetBSD, I take
> it?
>
> I'm hoping to stick a SunSwift HME/Wide SCSI in my IPX. Anyone tried that?

The Sunsolve pages for the BigMac and HME cards only mention support for
the Classic and LX onwards.  I seem to remember that the SBUS runs at
12.5Mhz in the IPC, IPX, 1, 1+ and 2 and at 20 or 25Mhz in the later
machines.  It could be that this is the problem.  So, I'd be interested to
hear if the HME works in your IPX.

> UTP trancievers are cheap and easy to get hold of. I often see them on
> ebay. Probably easier than getting hold of a SQEC.

I forgot about the FSBE/S card (10Mb ethernet + SCSI/2) [*] which is also
supported in the earlier machines.  They're easier to get hold of than the
quad ethernet cards.  So one of those and one transceiver would work too.

[*] See:
  http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Devices/SCSI/SCSI_FSBE_S.html

--
  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/