Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 20:48:55
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:43:34PM -0700, Steve Rikli wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 05:28:06PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 04:04:39PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> > > The IPX and the SS5/20 are, without a doubt, the BEST physical
> > > engineering feats that Sun has pulled off.
> >
> > What is it about the SS10 that makes it less desireable, in your eyes?
> > (I've never oned a 5 or 20 ...)
>
> Personally, I prefer the SCA SCSI connectors in the ss5/20 rather
> than the 50pin cable jobs in the ss10.

That would be a bit nicer, yeah.

> That probably has much to do w/a person's disk supply, though.  :-)

When it comes to smalelr SCSI drives (when did 9 and 18GB drives become
"small"?!), lately super-cheap drives have been so common that I'm just
piling them up in my computer room for want of machines to stick them
in.

LVD drives are causing me the most headache right now. I have a 7-drive
(18GB per) DEC storageworks array converted for use with 3rd-party
drives that seems to panic any box it comes into contact with. I'm
tempted to part out the drives, except I don't have boxes to put them in
:-)

> From a physical standpoint, I guess I like the ss5/20 disk brackets
> too, vs. the rubber feet thingies used in a ss10, of which I have
> lost too many.  :(

True enough, I'm currently using some spare screws backed halfway out.
Hardly ideal.

-T

--
Irix is about as stable as a one-legged drunk with hypothermia in a four-
hundred mile wind, balancing on a banana peel on a greased cookie sheet. When