Subject: Re: sparc/conf/GENERIC_SUN4U -> sparc64 ?
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 19:53:41
On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:13:10AM -0700, Greywolf wrote:
> That depends on what we expect uname -m and uname -p to return.
>
> Is there any existing STANDARD for WTF uname is supposed to spit out?
> I see as many different syntaces and results for uname as there are
> operating systems.
>
> if -m == "machine arch" (i.e. kernel arch) and -p == "platform arch"
> (i.e. userland arch), wouldn't that be dependent, even, upon whether
> you're running 32/32, 32/64 or 64/64 (user/kernel)?

I would expect 32/64 or 64/64 to return the same thing as 64/64.
But in the 32/32 case, sparc vs sparc64 is the same level of difference than
sparcv7 vs sparcv8 from the userland software point of view. So I would
expect uname to return the same value if I'm running on a IPC, or an
ultra5 with a 32bit kernel.

BTW, I'm concerned about this because I just started a package bulk build
on this Ultra5, for sparc (not sparc64).

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>