Subject: Re: sparc/conf/GENERIC_SUN4U -> sparc64 ?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 10:13:10
Thus spake Manuel Bouyer ("MB> ") sometime Today...

MB> Hi,
MB> I just installed NetBSD/sparc from the 2.0 20040926 snapshot on a ultra5,
MB> and to my surprise, uname -a reports sparc64.
MB> # uname -a
MB> NetBSD java 2.0_RC1 NetBSD 2.0_RC1 (GENERIC_SUN4U) #0: Tue Sep 28 16:47:02 UTC 2004  autobuild@tgm.netbsd.org:/autobuild/netbsd-2-0/sparc/OBJ/autobuild/netbsd-2-0/src/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC_SUN4U sparc64
MB> # uname -m
MB> sparc64
MB> # uname -p
MB> sparc
MB>
MB> Shouldn't NetBSD/sparc installed on ultrasparc-class machines identify
MB> itlsef as sparc and not sparc64 ?

That depends on what we expect uname -m and uname -p to return.

Is there any existing STANDARD for WTF uname is supposed to spit out?
I see as many different syntaces and results for uname as there are
operating systems.

if -m == "machine arch" (i.e. kernel arch) and -p == "platform arch"
(i.e. userland arch), wouldn't that be dependent, even, upon whether
you're running 32/32, 32/64 or 64/64 (user/kernel)?

				--*greywolf;
--
I'm really a software toolsmith and a musician by trade, but nobody really
needs a software toolsmith much, and the music industry is so cutthroat