Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/30/2004 10:37:47
> Yes , my 4/670 is slow with 2 sm100 modules  , I have upgraded to 2 sm41
> which feels at least double speed probably being supersparcs and have a
> large cache.
>
> Now I have 2 sm71:s which I would like to work in my box but the bootrom
> seems to be a bit old (2.8) for these modules , what version of boot do
> you have in your machine ?

When I looked at getting faster CPU's for this box, I saw from the Sunhelp
web pages:

  http://mbus.sunhelp.org/systems/sun/ss600.htm

that the fastest Sun modules that seemed safe were either 2 x SM61 or SM520
+ SM521 (these are rare - I've seen them once on Ebay - and they sold for
several hundred pounds).  I was pointed to mario <at> romotica.com (in
Canada) who had some Ross 2.14 PROM's, so that's what I now have:

  SPARCsystem 600MP Series (4 X RT625), Keyboard Present
  ROM Rev. 2.14, 128 MB memory installed, Serial #4201771.
  Ethernet address 8:0:20:10:f6:f0, Host ID: 71401d2b.

However, I don't know if he still has any.  The old PROM's were version 2.8.

What this box really needs is more memory but I haven't found a reasonably-
priced source of compatible 16Mb 30-pin SIMM's.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/