Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/2004 10:53:33
On 27.09.04, 11:05:54, Sean McKay wrote:
> Just an informal poll here...I just setup NetBSD 1.6.2 on my ss20 and
> am having fun setting it up. I'm curious what others are using it for

I have one genuine Sun SPARCstation 20 (single SuperSPARC-II 75MHz)
that serves as DSL NAT-gateway, web proxy and dhcp server. What I
particularly like about this application is that I have a real
serial console and the machine neither needs nor has a monitor or
keyboard attached.

A Tritec SS20 clone (dual SuperSPARC-II, 75MHz) used to be my
LAN-Webserver until it was superseded by an Ultra 1 (UltraSPARC,
167 MHz). These days it's just a machine to demonstrate non-i386
SMP with NetBSD at fairs and shows.

I also set up an Internet Cafe in our Church, where four SPARCstation
4 are used as thin X-Terminals. They boot diskless from a server
and really only run the Xserver with an xdmcp query to the application
server.

(As mentioned before, there's also the Ultra 1, but that's running
the sparc64 port. It's running 64bit userland, but that's mainly
for testing, as it offers no real advantage on such small hardware.)

> on this hardware...I've got 320MB of RAM and and decent HD -- it seems
> a bit slow though. I'm going to put some web pages up on it and see
> what kind of performance I can pull out of it...

Suns have good I/O performance and (depending on the CPU) large
Caches, so serving static web pages will be ok. If you serve dynamic
content, you will most likely be slowed down by the CPU.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Stable and strong!
		-- Lars-Johan Liman