Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: Sean McKay <sean.mckay@gmail.com>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/28/2004 11:14:58
--bFUYW7mPOLJ+Jd2A

On Monday, 27 September 2004 at 11:05:54 -0700, Sean McKay wrote:
> Just an informal poll here...I just setup NetBSD 1.6.2 on my ss20 and
> am having fun setting it up. I'm curious what others are using it for
> on this hardware...I've got 320MB of RAM and and decent HD -- it seems
> a bit slow though. I'm going to put some web pages up on it and see
> what kind of performance I can pull out of it...

I've got a whole pile of old SPARCs (if somebody round here wants one,
let me know).  I'm currently running OpenBSD on a SPARCstation 5 as
part of the Samba build farm (http://build.samba.org/, system flame).

I have a SPARCstation 20 with 96 MB of memory on which I intend to do
something similar for NetBSD.  I installed a relatively recent NetBDS
ISO (forget which one) and then tried to upgrade to 1.6.2.  It doesn't
finish booting:

  Booting netbsd
  3129244+98076+329904 [196000Illegal Instruction

I've been told that this is because of changes in the boot blocks;
before I go to more trouble than I really want to, can anybody
confirm?

Greg

--bFUYW7mPOLJ+Jd2A

--bFUYW7mPOLJ+Jd2A--