Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschme@comcast.net>
From: Michael <macallan18@earthlink.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/27/2004 17:28:43
Hello,

> > Well, an SS20 is one of the fastest "real" Suns ever built.
>
> Okay, I'll bite... what makes it a "real" Sun as opposed to what else?
> :-)

I guess 'real Sun' equals 'SBus machine' here - as opposed to these PCish PCI/IDE Ultras or AXes, so it should include the Ultra1 and Ultra2 too :)
And what to do with old Suns - well, they're no good as numbercrunchers obviously, but they're mean database servers - MySQL on a 170MHz Ultra1 is just as fast as on my 300MHz PowerPC box, Suns are very good at handling heavy IO tasks without much CPU load ( thanks to SBus and DMA on almost anything I think)