Subject: Re: What are you using port-sparc for?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/27/2004 20:54:38
Sean,

BTW: Umhh, gmail?

Sean McKay <sean.mckay@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just an informal poll here...

Just an informational answer here...

> I just setup NetBSD 1.6.2 on my ss20 and am having fun setting it
> up.

Well, the fun setting it up shouldn't have lastet any longer than
about a few minutes ;)

> I'm curious what others are using it for on this hardware...

Well, an SS20 is one of the fastest "real" Suns ever built.

I'm running an SS2 (with xbox attached) for serveral purposes, at the
time it's my LDAP test machine.

My SS5 has been used as a workstation until a few months ago. It
performed pretty well.

> I've got 320MB of RAM and and decent HD -- it seems a bit slow
> though.

A bit slow? A bit slow doing what -- playing DOOM3? Recalculating pi?
Running BGP with AT&T? ;)

> I'm going to put some web pages up on it and see what kind of
> performance I can pull out of it...

Do you mean "pages" or do you mean "sites"?

Nevertheless, forget about it. If you consider your system slow, go
and get the actual special-offer-PC from the next Starbucks.

It will run NetBSD also.

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--