Subject: Re: Using distcc to distribute compiles amidst i386 & sparc to speed compiles
To: phlox <phlox-netbsd-sparc@fnop.net>
From: R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@ekkobsd.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/20/2004 05:03:00
> On 2004.09.20 00:22:44 +0000, Sean McKay wrote:
> > Anyone using distcc to distribute compiles amidst dissimilar hardware?
> > I'm looking to speed up compiles for my sparcstation 20 with a i386
> > box running NetBSD.

> You can't do that since your compiler will produce i386 assembly
> code, which is not what you want.

distcc is simply a compiler front-end, if he has a cross-compiler on his i386
box for sparc32, and sets the correct compile in distcc
(CC="sparc-netbsd-gcc") and using a symlink on his sparc box from
gcc->sparc-netbsd-gcc (for example) it'd work out fine

> Distccd should be used only
> for machines with the same microprocessor arquitecture and the same compiler.

distcc is _only_ a frontend

I'm not sure about linking however, I don't know if the difference in arches
could lead to some link-time errors

-R. Tyler Ballance