Subject: Re: Questions from a new user
To: Riba <riba@ml1.net>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Laurent=20FAILLIE?= <l_faillie@yahoo.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/02/2004 20:38:14
 --- Riba <riba@ml1.net> a écrit :
> Hello all,

Hi Riba,

I'm very surprised by your "bad experence" because my
SS5 is running under NetBSD 1.6 since more than 2
years, many Apache/PHP/Postgresql upgrade and I never
had this kind of problem.

> I have a Sun Sparc Station 5 which I want to turn
> into a NetBSD based
> web server. I had no previous experience with
> NetBSD, but I did read
> all the relevant docs to avoid asking really stupid
> questions.
> Basically I need to install apache 1.3, PHP and
> mysql at minimum.

I use Apache 2.0, PHP4 and Postgresql 7.4 ...

When a "basic software" is needed (i.e: gnu one), I
build them from pkgsrc.
But for Apache / PHP or PostgreSQL, I only use the
original tarball because I want to be sure I have
exactly the same configuration and compilations
options (minus optimisation) on all machines I use.

The only problem I ever had was the day I had
installed GCC 3 : I succeed to build it but everytime
I'm trying to compile large stuffs, binary crashes. I
retry w/ latter version of GCC but now, it won't build
at all.

Otherwise, no problem, and my machine works smoothly
24/24 7/7 (you can reach it if you use "homeunix" URL
in my signature).

Bye

Lolo

=====
The misspelling master is on the Web.
   _________	100 % Dictionnary Free !
 /  Dico  / /	Pleins d'autres fautes sur
/________/ /	http://go.to/destroyedlolo
(#######( /	http://destroyedlolo.homeunix.org:8080
Quoi, des fautes d'orthographe! Pas possible ;-D.