Subject: Unable to build GENERIC
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 09/01/2004 09:34:38
Howdy folks,

First, I'd like to apologize for my ack of familiarity with the NetBSD
build system. As I've started to accumulate a fair number of NetBSD
boxes, getting familiar with it is now a priority for me :-)

I do have a lot of experience with the FreeBSD build system, so if my
choice of wording seems a bit odd it might be because of I'm coming from
that perspective.

I before designing and building a custom kernel for my SS10, I wanted to
time building the default GENERIC kernel. However .... :

[root@surya /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf]# uname -a
NetBSD surya.seekingfire.prv 2.0_BETA NetBSD 2.0_BETA (GENERIC) #0: Thu Aug 19 00:40:38 CDT 2004 root@smedley.mrynet.com:/tiny/obj/sparc-2-0/sys/arch/sparc/compile/GENERIC sparc
[root@surya /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf]# cp GENERIC SURYA
[root@surya /usr/src/sys/arch/sparc/conf]# config SURYA
../../../../net/files.pf:16: syntax error
*** Stop.

This happened a few days ago. I updated my src this morning with `cvs -d
$CVSROOT update -PAd src` and tried again, same result.

Am I going about building the kernel the wrong way? (I'm following
chapter 19 and chapter 9 from the guide). Is -current broken at the
moment?

Thanks for provisioning of clue,

-T

--
A monk saw a turtle in the garden of Daizui's monastery and asked the
teacher, "All beings cover their bones with flesh and skin. Why does