Subject: Re: spamassassin vs 2.0_beta
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: None <jb13@gomerbud.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/06/2004 09:42:33
On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 09:01:28AM -0700, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 08:12:39AM -0700, Steve Rikli wrote:
> > Yes, I believe so -- I see "virtual memory exhausted"... messages
> > fairly regularly on both my SS20.  As you say, mostly during builds.
>
> I left a new kernel to build last night before I went to bed, and it
> failed shortly after I left the room.  (:
>
> > I'm not sure how to help isolate either (suggestions welcome, of
> > course), but I think I would agree w/your notion about suspecting
> > memory leakage/fragmentation -- both ss20 have 512MB and were
> > performing their respective duties running 1.6 for months without
> > incident.  I was excited (still am, really) about running MP in
> > these systems, hence the upgrade to 2.0 .
>
> one interesting clue I was seeing last night while compiling a new
> kernel; a few times the context switches / second started going through
> the roof and I had to kill the compile to get the machine to settle back
> down.
>
> what I find odd is that it wasn't swapping at all.

I've been seeing this problem a lot as well, except i can build kernels,
and things in pkgsrc, i only get that message "virtual memory exhausted"
when compiling one file in the MPlayer sources. it doesn't mater how much
ram or swap i have, it allways fails. but i've never seen the context
switches / second jump up like you say.

jb13