Subject: Re: MP unstable on 2.0?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/05/2004 12:31:07
>>> I've tried running 'installboot /dev/sd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot'
>> Isn't that meant to be:
>>   installboot /dev/rsd0c /usr/mdec/bootxx /boot
> No.  The boot program goes on a partition (yes, you can have multiple
> boot programs, if you like), not on a "disk".

Yes, in theory.  However, using the c partition can be useful, in
particular if you are trying to installboot on a machine that's up
multi-user.  (More generally, it's not so much using the raw partition
that's useful as it is using some partition that (a) is not the
partition you have mounted and (b) begins at the same place as, and is
at least as large as, that partition.  If partition a doesn't begin at
the beginning of the disk, using partition c won't even work.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign