Subject: Re: SS20 NetBSD kiosk?
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/03/2004 14:38:25
[missing level of quoting supplied manuall -dM]
>>> I understand that the dual hypersparcs are supported in 2.0, but
>>> I'm unsure about the onboard cg14 graphics.
>> For what value of "supported"?  My 20-with-cg14 certainly works, in
>> that I have X running with both 8bpp and 24bpp windows; the
>> technology exists.
> Do you have a 8MB or 4MB VSIMM.

4, I think, though I'd have to bring the machine down to check - and at
the moment I can't check even if I did shut it down, because it's at
home and I'm at work.

> I have not been able to get it past 8bpp with a 4MB VSIMM.  [...]
> Solairs and CDE will run it at 24bpp but running anything else
> (including the Sun installed Gnome) will be in 8bpp.

If Solaris can do it, it's obviously not a hardware limitation.  And
after all, 4MB _is_ enough memory to do 1152x900x24bpp.

The X server hardware interface layer is my own code, the code I was
saying I didn't know if NetBSD had picked up and put into xsrc.  See
ftp.rodents.montreal.qc.ca:/mouse/X/source/patches/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/
(the cg14/ subdir in particular) if you're curious.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign