Subject: Re: MP unstable on 2.0?
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 08/02/2004 10:10:25
> Yes, hopefully SMP on HyperSPARCs will be ok, as this is the main reason for
> me migating from Linux.

It is indeed OK.  Thanks to work that Paul Kranenburg did earlier in the year,
NetBSD 2.0 and -current both run fine on MP HyperSPARC's.

> NetBSD 2.0 seems to be the only OS out there at the moment (other than
> Slowlaris) that will use both the CPUs on the White Elephant sat in my spare
> room at the moment so I've spent the last 2 weeks now getting my head around
> 1.6.2 and finding out all the little differences that make NetBSD what it is
> before I bite the bullet and go for a 2.0 install. Hopefully I'll have a new
> firewall up an running on this box before the end of summer.

I've just tried the GENERIC.MP from the most recent automatically built sparc
2.0 beta on my 3 x HS100.  No problems.  You might want to install from that:

  ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200407270000/sparc/

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/