Subject: Re: default slice sizes
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/2004 18:47:14
On Sun, Aug 01, 2004 at 12:19:41AM +1000, matthew green wrote:

>    Methinks, sysinst should offer to set up _one_ partition. Anybody who is in
>    the process of setting up a server will want to come up with his own
>    layout, and therefore is not worse off than before. And a beginner, OTOH,
>    gets a layout that is actually useable.
>

> i concur - all my systems except my servers tend to only have a
> single partition.  isn't the currently default this, btw?  i had
> an install recently and i don't recall having to turn off the
> /usr partition.... (this was sparc install)

sysinst in 2.0 and current default to giving a single filesystem - unless
sysinst knows that parts of that filesystem are unreadable by the prom/bios.
(I think this only happens on i386, and where the bios doesn't support
LBA reads.)

You also get to edit the partition sizes after sysinst has made its
choices - so at least you can see what it is going to do.

I actually suspect the 'separate /usr' comes from the days when 300MB disks
were big - and the system files wouldn't fit on a single disk.

I tend to use separate partitions for things I want to keep across
system re-installs and/or dual boot (eg mulitple versions of netbsd).
So /usr goes into the root filesystem, but /home and the netbsd source
tree are in two separate fs.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk