Subject: Re: default slice sizes
To: Christian Smith <csmith@micromuse.com>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/31/2004 15:54:02
At 0:22 Uhr +0100 31.7.2004, Christian Smith wrote:
>>Of course significant parts of the system live in /usr/, but this way
>>even downloading the pkgsrc tarball to /tmp/ fails, since it just
>>filles up the remaining 7.5MB.
>

>Don't use /tmp for that. If you have /home on a seperate partition, which
>is recommended, then download the tarball as a regular user in that
>partition.

8>

The point of the complaint, as I understand it, is that with a _default_
filesystem layout as proposed by sysinst, you get a wasteful /usr
filesystem. But _anything_ else that would be used for storing data (/tmp,
/var/tmp, /home/${USER}) ends up in the root filesystem which has
ridiculous space limitations.

If you, as a newbie, follow the sysinst layout, you are going to face a
reinstall in a few weeks.

Methinks, sysinst should offer to set up _one_ partition. Anybody who is in
the process of setting up a server will want to come up with his own
layout, and therefore is not worse off than before. And a beginner, OTOH,
gets a layout that is actually useable.

My 2 euro-cents,

	hauke

--