Subject: RE: Newbie pkgsrc PATH Related Question
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/29/2004 16:55:19

Well thanks for the speedy response Chris.

My problem isn't really with 'user' binaries, as it were...I understand how
to change my PATH so that as I user I can access the binaries I've compiled
and installed in /usr/pkg, it's more the daemons and libraries that the
system itself loads that I'm struggling with.

The exact issue I'm having is with OpenSSL: the system obviously comes with
a base install of openssl to enable sshd to function. However, as I'm sure
you know being an SS5 user, openssl compiled with a V7 target is slower than
a 3-legged dog in treacle so I've compiled openssl from pkgsrc and done a
'make install' but everything gets installed into the /usr/pkg tree and the
system prefers to use the files in /usr and /usr/lib.

How do I get my system to use the optimised openssl binaries I've compiled
instead of the base install ones?

Gary