Subject: Re: Newbie pkgsrc PATH Related Question
To: Gary Parker <G.J.Parker@lboro.ac.uk>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/29/2004 15:25:18
Gary Parker wrote:
> Hi all, I've only been using NetBSD for a few days (recently defected from
> Debian Linux) so I'm on something of a learning curve here.

Welcome to NetBSD!

> I'm running 1.6.2 on an SS20 with 2xRoss HyperSPARC 150s and 320MB RAM.

Nice machine. Mine is a much more humble SS5 110Mhz with 128Mb RAM.
Mostly used as a terminal now, as it has a much better keyboard and
monitor than any PC I've used.

> I've successfully set up CVS on the machine and compiled and installed some
> bits and bobs like bash and screen but I decided I need to do openssl and
> openssh as well so they'd be optimized for the V8 hardware in my machine.
>
> 'make' and 'make install' both went fine for both packages, however the
> binaries seem to have been installed in /usr/pkg/bin, /usr/pkg/lib and
> /usr/pkg/sbin.
>
> I can obviously add these folders to my PATH, but the original binaries that
> were put on during the initial installation are still present in /lib,
> /sbin, /usr etc.
>
> What is the recommended method for overiding these with my newly compiled
> binaries? Should I just delete the old binaries and copy over the new ones?
> Will this break CVS in any way? Do I need to tell init to load
> /usr/pkg/sbin/sshd instead of the old version?

One method is to modify the PATH in /etc/profile (for Bourne type
shells). I don't user C shell, but I guess that modifying /etc/csh.login
would work for that shell. For /etc/profile, set the PATH to something
like:

  PATH=/usr/pkg/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
  export PATH

This doesn't help if users override the default PATH in their own shell
config files though. In that case you can get pkgsrc to install over the
top of the "system" binaries. I've never needed to do this myself, but a
quick perusal of Packages.txt in your pkgsrc directory may provide the
answer.

> Before anyone says that 1.6.2 is waaaay out of date I'm just getting my head
> around this before trying to track current and (hopefully) get myself a 2.0
> kernel running both CPUs.

1.6.2 is the latest stable release, so it's not out of date in that
sense. Think of it as the equivalent of Debian stable. Current is more
like Debian testing, and since the new threading code settled down it
has proved very stable for me. The easiest way to install it is to grab
a binary build from ftp://releng.netbsd.org/ or one of its mirrors. That
way you're at least guaranteed that it's built, and it's far less time
consuming than building from source on a slow machine.

Chris