Subject: Re: HDD partition handling
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/28/2004 19:21:30
Umh, well -- seems like I've set the ball rolling... ;)

der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA> wrote:

> > But typically sd1c will have fstype unused, not 4.2BSD, and thus you
> > can't mount it.
>
> That hasn't been my experience.  I haven't looked at why, but I have no
> trouble mounting RAW_PART as ffs even when its type isn't 4.2BSD.

That's what I did, even though I've no clue about that RAW_PART
thing. Dumb as I am I just

(i) attached the disk to the SCSI controller
(ii) found the device at /dev/sd1 resp. /dev/rsd1
(iii) diklabeled -i /dev/rsd1
(iii-a) created _one_ "a" partition type 4.2BSD
(iii-b) wrote the disklabel
(iii-c) read the disklabel and found two prtitions:
		a: 4.2BSD
		c: unused
(iv) newfs'ed the "a" partition
(v) was able to "mount_ffs /dev/sd1c /mnt/tmp" and access the disk

At the moment I managed to screw things up totally: By tampering
around with disklabel (deleting and creating partitions) I seem to
have invisible partitions.

Someday I should investigate how to entirely remove a disklabel from a
disk and start from scratch. "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd1 ..."
obviously did not do the trick.

cheers,
\end{kryz}

--