Subject: HDD partition handling
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/27/2004 19:14:12
Hi folks,

I have a probably stupid question, anyways:

When I attach a "virgin" HDD to my system (e.g. designated to sd1),
disklabel it, create one single partition covering the entire disk and
newfs the "a" partition, I actually have two slices on it:

/dev/sd1a	my partition
/dev/sd1c	the "entire disk" for BSD disklabel

That's OK so far. But...:

How comes I can mount both /dev/sd1a and /dev/sd1c and get the same
results in "df -k" e.g? Shouldn't /dev/sd1c be unmountable, since it
is not a _real_ partition?

How comes I can even mount a and c concurrently? What exactly do I
really mount when I mount /dev/sda1c?

TIA,

cheers,
\end{kryz}