Subject: Re: dual interface question
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/21/2004 22:14:42
> in the meantime, if someone can find me the OBP commands by which I can
> even temporarily add a local-mac-address property to my hme, I'd greatly
> appreciate it.

I you hunt around, you might find a reference called "Writing FCode 2.x
Programs".  If you can't be bothered to hunt around, go to:

  http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/802-1941?a=load

download the PDF, and then, on page 83, there is an example of setting/adding
the `local-mac-address' property.  You will need to type something like:

	ok setenv local-mac-address? true
	ok cd /iommu/sbus/SUNW,hme
	ok " "(08,00,20,00,01,ea)" xdrbytes " local-mac-address" attribute

Replace the device path with the correct device for your machine (the `ls'
and/or `show-devs' commands will be useful here).  Yes, all the " characters
and spaces are correct on the last line.  Pick your own "unique" MAC address.

The above won't survive a reset.  I thought something like:

	probe-all
	" /iommu/sbus/SUNW,hme" select-dev
	" "(08,00,20,00,01,ea)" xdrbytes " local-mac-address" attribute
	device-end

added to the nvramrc would work, but this causes a long (60 second) pause
on reset and the kernel thinks there is a second QEC card, so fails to boot.
Adding something to src/sys/arch/sparc/stand/boot/prompatch.c might well
work, although it wouldn't be very portable.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/