Subject: Re: Help?
To: R. Tyler Ballance <tyler@ekkobsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/14/2004 00:20:50
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, R. Tyler Ballance wrote:

> Just to give a little background, I'm just off the ekkoBSD(.org) project,
> where I was a core member until, we decided that the project wasn't going
> anywhere.

 	Sorry to hear that. I hope you find another project (obviously
 	NetBSd would be one that comes to mind :)

> Anyways, I maintained the sparc32 and sparc64 (not officially) for the last
> month or so, and I've collected 3 sparc station 5's since. I'm wondering if
> there's any way I can help NetBSD with my junk^H^H^H^Hstuff.

 	NetBSD can always use good coders and assorted hardware (ideally
 	co-located)

> I'm a CompEng student at Texas A&M, and I'm really looking for anywhere to
> help out, and learn more. (For example, with ekkoBSD, I originally joined to
> write a java client for 'pf', but then this cascaded into builds, pkgsrc
> builds, debugging, lists, etc)
>
> I'm really open for anything, let me know ;)
> (I'm looking at you Kranenburg ;))

 	I'm sure Paul can come up with a sparc list, but one of the best
 	ways to start would probably be to download a 2.0_BETA snapshot
 	from releng.netbsd.org, install it onto one of your boxes and see
 	what you miss from ekkobsd :)

 	If you want something relatively sparc specific and technical, the
 	sparc bootblocks need to be updated to handle FFS2 format
 	filesystems.

 	Somewhat less low level would be running a bulk pkgsrc build and
 	seeing if any packages with problems catch your eye :)

 	Is there any areas in which you are particularly interested?