Subject: Re: SPARCstation-5/170
To: <>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/04/2004 16:19:49
On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 11:01:37AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <20040623123308.K26659@zill.net>,
> 	Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net> writes:
> > of only there were supported FDDI cards though, ...
>
> The SBus FDDI cards which Sun sold (made by a 3rd party vendor whose name
> I forgot) were slow as hell. I once tried one of them in my girlfriend's
> SS20 (running Solaris 9) with a fast i386 system on the other site. I only
> got about 1.1MByte/Sec (measured with "ttcp"). The machine can deliver
> 6MByte/Sec over the hme SBus card.
>
> So I would waste too much thoughts on FDDI cards for SBus systems.

We did a driver port for an SBus FDDI card - starting from the card
manufacturer's [1] solaris driver.  The original version sucked.  I then
took out all the 'buffer loaning' stuff and added a data copy to both
the transmit and receive paths.  New modified driver was much, much
faster.

	David

[1] I can't remember whom, but it could easily be the same one.

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk