Subject: Re: HyperSPARC w/2.0
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/04/2004 13:05:07
On 04.07.04, 12:27:00, Christian Corti wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Bernd Sieker wrote:
> > 2.0F is not supposed to become a release anytime soon, it's the
> > bleeding edge development branch called "-current".
> > For a more stable environment, try 2.0_BETA, which will become 2.0
> > RSN. (cvs tag "netbsd-2-0")
>
> Seems I don't understand the NetBSD version numbering. 2.0F sounds much
> less BETA than 2.0_BETA.

Take a look at this to clarify the naming scheme in NetBSD:

http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html

> I started with netbsd-2-0 a few months ago and it wasn't stable at all. It
> had many errors with the SCSI bus and many memory leaks. That's why I
> switched to -current. Nobody has ever anounced that the memory leaks were
> fixed so I haven't switched "back" to BETA yet. I will try it next week.
> One question: Will this break binaries compiled under 2.0F from pkgsrc? If

Probably yes, there were some API changes.

> yes I'd like to see the memory leaks removed from -current instead of
> switching to BETA.

Report them. See send-pr(1). Well, first check if they already have been
reported. But it is the nature of -current that sometimes new problems
are introduced whilst fixing others or adding new stuff.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: the free unix for the rest of us
		-- Bob Nestor