Subject: Re: HyperSPARC w/2.0
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 07/03/2004 17:35:50
On 03.07.04, 14:50:42, Christian Corti wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Havard Eidnes wrote:
> > - H?vard (a happy user of 2.0F in SMP config on a dual HyperSPARC SS20)
>
> Well, 2.0F still has severe memory leaks in the kernel so I have to reboot
> my SMP SS10 once a day. Until this bug is located and fixed there cannot
> be a final release. See my other postings on this list for this issue.

2.0F is not supposed to become a release anytime soon, it's the
bleeding edge development branch called "-current".

For a more stable environment, try 2.0_BETA, which will become 2.0
RSN. (cvs tag "netbsd-2-0")

I have an SS20-MP running with two CPUs on the 2.0 release branch,
and it does not leak (any more). Has been up for 19+ days now, and
"vmstat -m" shows a steady kernel memory usage of around 10 +-2
MB.

(Ok, so I only have SuperSPARC-II, and not HyperSPARC, but I should
mention that the two CPUs have different major revision SuperCache
Controllers (3.x vs. 4.x), which is officially discouraged when
running Solaris. Seems to work fine with NetBSD.)

The machine is doing IP-NAT for my DSL connection, ipfilter, and
is running a squid proxy for my LAN.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Download one, get ${NUMPORTS}-1 for free.