Subject: Re: SPARCstation-5/170
To: None <wonko@4amlunch.net>
From: Johan A.van Zanten <johan@giantfoo.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/23/2004 10:15:37
Brian Hechinger <wonko@4amlunch.net> wrote:
> I seem to remember that there were issues with the ss5/170 running non-Solaris
> operating systems being stable.  Something about the Fujitsu CPU having bugs
> that Solaris had workaround for.
>
> Is this still an issue?  I'd love to run NetBSD on my ss5/170 boxes if they
> could be stable (production mail/dns servers)

 I've been running NetBSD 1.5.x and 1.6.x on two different SPARC 5/170s
for about 2 years with pretty much zero problems. I don't think i've ever
seen one crash or panic due to hardware, excluding disk crashes.

They get a lot of use; they're used as a public MX & DNS server, and my
desktop (respectively).

 -johan

from dmesg:

mainbus0 (root): SUNW,SPARCstation-5
cpu0 at mainbus0DVMA coherent : MB86907 @ 170 MHz, on-chip FPU

# uptime
11:13AM  up 212 days, 19:31, 1 user, load averages: 0.22, 0.12, 0.09

 -johan