Subject: Re: SS20/MP Watchdog Reset
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Kurt J. Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/15/2004 11:11:59
On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 10:44:49AM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 06:21:46PM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> >
> > I had thought that "Watchdog Reset" meant that the machine tried to
> > take a trap while traps were disabled, not that there actually was a
> > watchdog timer anywhere.
>
> Yes, that is what a watchdog reset is - Suns don't have a hardware
> watchdog timer AFAICR.  Sounds like a kernel bug.

Depends on the model.  The compact PCI formfactor boards, along with those
derived from them (Netra t1 model 105) have watchdog timers in the hardware.
I am guessing, but not sure, that anything that Sun sells in the
"Netra" line of telco servers have watchdog timers that can be set.

According to some of the documentation for the Linux support of this,
the watchdog timer is embedded in the compact PCI based sparcs,
as well as any other sparc that uses the RIO chip.

Checking the eeprom settings on a Netra t1, I see the following:
	# eeprom | grep watchdog
	watchdog-timeout=65535
	watchdog-enable?=false
	watchdog-reboot?=false