Subject: Re: ssh / sshd
To: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
From: Vicky Staubly <vicky@steeds.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 06/06/2004 14:21:09
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Chris Amthor wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 02:08:39PM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> [...]
> > > and when i try to connect after a reboot it takes 1,5 minute to
> > > get to the position where a can enter my login and my password,
> > > after that long time, everything works fine...
>
> YMMV, but SSH in general seems to be pretty slow on -- umh, sparc
> systems? *BSD systems? I dunno...

On my network, I compared 3 systems, connecting via ssh v2. The
90MHz Pentium beat a 167MHz UltraSparc by something like 3 seconds
to 6 seconds. The 40MHz Sparc (SS2) came lagging along at about 30
seconds. (Times measured from hitting enter on the ssh command, until I
get the password prompt. All systems were running NetBSD 1.6.2, with
the i386 port, the sparc-64 port, and sparc port, respectively.)
They were all pretty instantaneous for ssh v1, probably under a
second or two. (Oh, and the same 90MHz Pentium was dead even with
a 90MHz Pentium running Linux 2.4.21)

I understand the OpenSSH code has some x86 assembly in it, but I'm
not sure if that's the difference, or if the x86 has a better instruction
set for ssh (I seem to recall during the distributed RSA cracking
contests that there was a difference in performance based on how the
architecture handled the shift/rotate bits opcode).

--
Vicky Staubly        http://www.steeds.com/vicky/         vicky@steeds.com