Subject: Removing SILO From A SPARCStation LX
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Gary Gale <spam@vicchi.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/20/2004 21:34:35
Hi everyone,

I've got a SPARCstation LX which in a previous life had RedHat 5.2 for
SPARC installed on it.

Alas, fool that I am, I also installed SILO on the MBR of the first SCSI
drive.

I've successfully installed NetBSD 1.6.2 onto the box but I can't boot
from the hard drive as SILO insists on taking over.

Does anyone know how I can remove SILO and/or zap the MBR back into a
state where I can boot NetBSD successfully?

Cheers

Gary

--
"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley; LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

BOFH Excuse #76: Unoptimised hard drive.

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()