Subject: Re: Experiences with 2.0beta?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Bernd Sieker <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 05/03/2004 10:17:40
On 02.05.04, 15:56:24, Hauke Fath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I felt (probably too) adventurous and upgraded my ss10 home server from
> 1.6.2 to 2.0beta. One of the main reasons was that I wanted to run it as
> WLAN access point.
>
> Since the machine has produced quite a few crashes, I've made a list on
> http://la.causeuse.org/hauke/NetBSD/netbsd-2-0-experience/ -- what are
> others' experiences with the to-be-2.0? Stability? Anybody having more
> success with bridge(4) than me?

So it's not me or my hardware, then. I've had similar experiences

A Sun SPARCstation 20 with Dual SM71, serves as DSL/NAT router with
pppoe on the onboard le interface, LAN on a Sun hme revision 2.0.
The machine also runs a squid proxy for my LAN.

I get quite frequent freezes, mostly under light to moderate network
load, sometimes the machine just locks and I can break (serial
console) into the ddb, sometimes the console is back in the PROM
with the comment "watchdog reset".

sync'ing or cont'ing is almost never possible, I get a "solid"
panic then. I have usually been able to reboot from the ddb/PROM
without need for a power cycle.

I also have one Tritec "RackTech" SPARCstation 20 clone
("SUNW,SPARCstation-20L"), also Dual SM71, that runs a small web
server (my pages on (dyndns) nuxi.homeunix.org are hosted on it).
This one runs stable.

I would just swap the two SS20 class machines, to see if it's
hardware related, or pure software. but the clone uses 50pin narrow
SCSI connectors, and the Sun uses SCA, so I'd have to copy disks
first, which I haven't done yet.

> 	hauke

Which PRs are open on these issues? I haven't looked in any detail
yet.

I also cannot comment on the stability of 1.6.2 in comparison,
since I did not run my SS20 under 1.6. The previous router was a
PC under 1.6, that worked stable.

--
Bernd Sieker

NetBSD: Get Over It.