Subject: re: Kernel panic w/ HME on IPX
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2004 21:51:07
   On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 04:47:51AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:

   > Sure, but there is an implicit "by Sun" tag attached to "supported"
   > there.  Lots and lots of things that aren't supported by Sun do in fact
   > work, often even with Sun's software.

   And on the other hand there is some hardware that just will not work :)
   I know for a fact that a FSBE card will not work in a Sun IPC but runs
   happily in an IPX - something to do with changes to the sbus which
   caused _some_ cards to not work in older machines.

there are also sbus hardware compatibilities with old cards and
newer hardware as well.  eg, from sparc/cgsix(4):

     The double-width `GX' and the `GX+' cards are not compatible with Ultra-
     SPARC machines.

.mrg.