Subject: Re: Kernel panic w/ HME on IPX
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/22/2004 04:47:51
>> I know some other *bsds don't support the hme on sun4c due to prom
>> issues, but I didn't see anything in the hardware lists to indicate
>> this on netbsd.
> Sunsolve reports no sun4c system is supported, sun4m and upwards
> only.

Sure, but there is an implicit "by Sun" tag attached to "supported"
there.  Lots and lots of things that aren't supported by Sun do in fact
work, often even with Sun's software.

> I think it's assumed NetBSD's hardware compatibility list works on
> the fact that the hardware is a supported configuration in the first
> place.

This is slippery.  You're using "supported" here in what appears to be
two contexts at once.  You are simultaneously making it mean "supported
by NetBSD" (because of the rest of the sentence) and "supported by Sun"
(because of the context established by the previous sentence).

Those are not equivalent.  Not even close.

If you mean the NetBSD hardware compatability list is implicitly
qualified by "supported by NetBSD", I agree with you, but it's
pointless to say anything about it here.  If you mean the NetBSD
hardware compatability list is implicitly qualified by "supported by
Sun", I strongly disagree; I've never understood it thus, and NetBSD
has almsot always supported a good deal more than Sun has, both because
NetBSD is better built (for those values of "better") and because
NetBSD's notion of "support" is weaker.

As for whether hme works on sun4c, I can't say - the only hme I have,
as far as I know, is the onboard ethernet on an Ultra 2.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign