Subject: Re: CVS commit: src/sys/arch/sparc/sparc
To: None <bsieker@rvs.uni-bielefeld.de>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/15/2004 13:56:23
--Apple-Mail-35-676168940

On Apr 14, 2004, at 1:23 AM, Bernd Sieker wrote:

> An interesting related question: can you mix SuperSPARC (TI) and
> HyperSPARC (Ross) CPUs? I have been running an SS20 for some months
> with 60MHz SuperSPARC plus 75MHz SuperSPARC-II without problems,
> but could I add, say, a Twin HyperSPARC 50MHz to an existing
> SuperSPARC 60MHz?

My guess would be "no".  For different CPUs of the same class (all of
those SuperSPARC CPUs are the same class), that works because the cache
functions, etc. are all the same for CPUs in the class.

But if you mix CPUs of different classes (e.g. SuperSPARC and
HyperSPARC), you then have to deal with cache flushing and what not
different for each CPU, which is a problem so difficult and
complicated, it's not worth solving.

--Apple-Mail-35-676168940
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit