Subject: re: install on 8MB boxes
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 04/04/2004 12:05:26

   > I've been able to install current from netboot on a 8MB sparc IPX, the only
   > requirement is to use a smaller kernel than GENERIC or GENERIC_SCSI3.
   > GENERIC doesn't load, it fails with:
   > Booting netbsd
   > Cannot load netbsd: error=27
   > (27 is EFBIG)
   >
   > I don't think the problem is the amount of RAM, but it's probably the
   > fact that it's 2 segments of 4MB with a hole between them.
   > The kernel I used is just GENERIC with sun4m-specific things commented out,
   > no RASTERCONSOLE, no KTRACE/SYSTRACE, no pseudo-filesystems (they can be
   > loaded as LKM), and no network protocols others than INET and INET6.
   > There may be a few more things that could be removed, like sbus cards known
   > to work only on sun4m systems. This kernel should work for all sun4 and sun4c
   > systems, and is 2762499 bytes (vs 3472644).
   >
   > Is it worth adding to the list of standard kernels and distribution,
   > or do we assume peoples with low memory machines will be able to cross-compile
   > their own kernel ?

   	I do not think it is fair to force a new user to cross-compile
   	just to test out NetBSD.

   	Are there any sun4m boxes with less than 8M contiguous memory?
   	The lowest spec sun4m would probably be the classic which requires
   	at a minimum a pair of 4MB simms.

are these 2 simms mapped contiguously?  i dunno :)

   	Maybe have a SUN4C_SMALL with your changes and compiled with -Os?
   	(I'd prefer to see KTRACE added, but I expect everyone will have
   	their preferred set of options :)

sounds like a good idea for the older h/w.