Subject: Omitting repeated "make"-checks?
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Amthor <amthor@chroam.de>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/19/2004 20:30:13
Hi all,

When installing software from the pkgsrc by invoking "make", a number
of checks (checking for working C-compiler, checking for usable
foobar, checking for this, checking for that) are performed every
time. No problem about that, but:

Even if one package requires several other ones and therefore installs
them automatically, the same checks are performed for each package
just to get the same results.

Can I force "make" to recycle the results from such a check and get
further "make"s to use these? As long as I only install applications
this way, there simply is no need to check for a working compiler,
sys/types.h, string.h, and whether my linker supports shared libs,
since if the first check would have failed, I'd never got to this
check.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
\end{kryz}