Subject: Re: double head with X
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Olivier Cherrier <oc@karedas.cediti.be>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/17/2004 10:59:21
> It is not very clear to me why you'd want to.  Using XFree86 on a port
> like sparc that doesn't have to deal with the endless ranks of almost
> but not quite identical video cards that plague PCI (and earlier ISA)
> systems is madness.  With that kernel driver, about the best you're
> going to get is a dumb depth-24 framebuffer anyway (= slow).

Sure, it is not a very powerfull graphic workstation. But, my
question was not performance related.

> But even if you insist, there are a couple of points I can speak to.

OK, thanks.

> > Have I to use the /dev/fb device?
>
> Maybe.  Which screen do you want X on?  /dev/fb _should_ give you the

As the subject says, I would like a doubble head display.

> cg14, based on the boot messages.

Using /dev/fb launches the X server on cgsix0 and the console
mode keeps on the initial term where I logged into.

> > If so, the X server is comming on the non-sonsole card, ie cgsix0.
>
> Ugh.  Must be something bizarre with XFree86's device enumeration.
> (Another reason not to use it; having the X server do its own bus
> enumeration is further madness.  I conjecture that this is partly at
> fault, that XFree86 doesn't know about obio, only sbus, and thus thinks
> you have only the one framebuffer.  Another conjecture is that it found
> the cgfourteen but doesn't know how to do anything with it.)

So, you think that doubble head is precisely not possible with this
hardware; do you?

> > In the other hand, there is no /dev/cgfourteen0 device.  Is the
> > /dev/cgfour0 file the device associated to cgfourteen0?
>
> No.  /dev/cgfour0 is for the cgfour, a framebuffer that dates back to
> the Sun-3 days.  You need to create /dev/cgfourteen0 (or some
> equivalent).  On past systems I could have told you how to work out the
> major number you need, but I don't understand the current
> device<->driver attachment scheme well enough.

OK, thanks. I will look into it.

Greetings.