Subject: Re: JavaStation Krups XServer does not start
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/17/2004 01:17:28
--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

* Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com> [2004-02-16 22:29:43]:
> * Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru> [2004-02-16 03:10:27]:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 00:05:48 +0000, Matt Dainty wrote:
> >=20
> > > Does anyone have an idea how I might proceed? I'm a bit confused as to
> > > where to start looking. I was planning on trying the VESA driver, I
> > > guessed that's what the suggestion was, although I'm not sure how
> > > x86-centric that is.
> >=20
> > You'd start by editing x11/Xserver/Makefile.common and adding
> > ${MACHINE} =3D=3D "sparc" to the list of machines for which we set
> >=20
> > XSERVER_XFREE86=3D        yes
> >=20
> > This will make sparc x11 crossbuild build XFree86 server.
> >=20
> > Then the fun part begins ;).
>=20
> Sadly not for too long :-(
>=20
> I made the change as above, and it appears to go okay, at least the
> graphics drivers appear to be built, but the input drivers are giving
> some grief, -DXINPUT is not being passed to each one. I manually added
> it to x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/input/mouse/Makefile with success and now
> calcomp has failed with much the same errors.
>=20
> $X11SRC/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/common/xf86Xinput.h needs
> XINPUT defined to include "extensions/XIproto.h" which seems to contain
> the definitions of the missing types.
>=20
> -DXINPUT is defined for "sparc" along with others in
> x11/Xserver/xinput/Makefile
>=20
> Not sure where best to add this in one place.

Okay, bad form to follow up to my own post, but before I hit the sack,
I've gotten further, but getting more deeply stuck :-)

To solve the XINPUT issue, I found what I was looking for in
share/mk/bsd.x11.mk. As before, make similar changes to add sparc to get
various defines, and remove it to prevent not getting some, most
importantly, XINPUT.

Next, I hit a hardcoded error in the xfree source that this arch/OS has
no PCI support, this is in
$X11SRC/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bus/Pci.h. My
guess was to remove the restriction of only sparc64 platforms in the
NetBSD sparc section, hopefully the #defines we end up using are
correct for sparc as well as sparc64?

Bit further on I'm now hitting errors in
$X11SRC/xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsd_kbd.c
for defines for LED_{CAP,NUM,SCR} which look to be resolved by adding
-DWSCONS_SUPPORT to the build, but AFAIK wscons is not available for
sparc right?

The place to add these defines is
x11/Xserver/hw/xfree86/xf86_os/Makefile and I started to add sparc
sections similar to macppc and cats. Making sparc use netbsdPci.c
matches the #defines in Pci.h.

I'm now not sure as macppc and cats define SRCS.bsd to contain
{ppc,arm}_video.c as well as other extra files. Do we need a
sparc_video.c file here? I saw there's a sparc64_video.c file which
doesn't seem to contain much that I guess it could be adapted/copied?

Matt
--=20
"If there are no spots on a sugar cube then I've just put a dice in my
tea."

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu

--TRYliJ5NKNqkz5bu--