Subject: Re: double head with X
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/2004 13:59:51
> I've just net-booted a 1.6ZI SS20 with 2 graphic cards.
> From the dmesg:

> cgfourteen0 at obio0 slot 2 offset 0x0 level 8: cgthree emulated at 1152x900x8bpp (console)
> cgfourteen0: attached to /dev/fb
> cgsix0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x0 level 9: SUNW,501-2325, 1152 x 900, rev 11
> cgsix0: /dev/fb already full

> The console is attached to the cgfourteen0 card (on the motherboard).

> It is not very clear how I have to configure XF86Config.

It is not very clear to me why you'd want to.  Using XFree86 on a port
like sparc that doesn't have to deal with the endless ranks of almost
but not quite identical video cards that plague PCI (and earlier ISA)
systems is madness.  With that kernel driver, about the best you're
going to get is a dumb depth-24 framebuffer anyway (= slow).

But even if you insist, there are a couple of points I can speak to.

> Have I to use the /dev/fb device?

Maybe.  Which screen do you want X on?  /dev/fb _should_ give you the
cg14, based on the boot messages.

> If so, the X server is comming on the non-sonsole card, ie cgsix0.

Ugh.  Must be something bizarre with XFree86's device enumeration.
(Another reason not to use it; having the X server do its own bus
enumeration is further madness.  I conjecture that this is partly at
fault, that XFree86 doesn't know about obio, only sbus, and thus thinks
you have only the one framebuffer.  Another conjecture is that it found
the cgfourteen but doesn't know how to do anything with it.)

> In the other hand, there is no /dev/cgfourteen0 device.  Is the
> /dev/cgfour0 file the device associated to cgfourteen0?

No.  /dev/cgfour0 is for the cgfour, a framebuffer that dates back to
the Sun-3 days.  You need to create /dev/cgfourteen0 (or some
equivalent).  On past systems I could have told you how to work out the
major number you need, but I don't understand the current
device<->driver attachment scheme well enough.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign