Subject: Re: Unable to mount root fs read-write after install
To: Petri T. Koistinen <petri.koistinen@iki.fi>
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/10/2004 16:33:04
> I tried to install NetBSD 1.6.1 to my Sun IPX machine. All went until
> rebooting the machine. It seems that system is unable to mount root
> filesystem as read-write.
>
> I see this error message:
> mount_ffs: /dev/sd0a on /: specified device does not match mounted device

Did the disk get identified as sd0?  Some sparcs have the root disk set to
SCSI ID 3.  The GENERIC_SCSI3 kernel changes the mapping for ID 0 and 3 but
the GENERIC kernel does not.  Is it possible that the kernel sees your disk
as sd3?  Do the boot messages show:

  sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0:

or

  sd3 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0:

?

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/