Subject: Re: netbooting an IPX, stuck at NFS mounting root fs
To: None <aardvark@krl.com>
From: Tom Kooij <tom_kooij@hotmail.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/08/2004 11:15:42
>SPARCstation IPX, No Keyboard
>ROM Rev. 2.3, 32 MB memory installed, Serial #16777215.
>Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID: ffffffff.
>
>-----
>Sorry, but the above ethernet address is not what I'd call "sensible."
>It won't work.
>
>Set your ethernet address to something like:
>
>08:00:20:xx:xx:xx

You are referring to the banner at cold boot. The first two commands (see
capture) actually set the ethernet (MAC) address to 8:0:20:c0:ff:ee as per
NVRAM faq.

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to be the problem... TFTP and NFS work for
transferring the bootloader and kernel, and the it fails at mounting the
/root fs.

I'm trying to boot OpenBSD now and I'm getting some RPC errors at mounting
NFS. I'm going to look into it, perhaps portmap is broken on the server
afterall. (Although NFS seems to be working fine on the server.)

Tom