Subject: [off-topic] hint for adding 50-pin scsi hdd to SS5
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: henry nelson <netb@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/2004 09:27:44
Just thought I'd mention for interested parties that I had good luck in
installing a Seagate ST34520N (4.5GB) 50-pin hdd into the cd-rom bay of
an SS5 (normally takes sca), using one of those 3.5"-to-5" mounts with
tiny fans (US$4-5).  Looks sharp and is much quieter than the external
case I had.

The battery on my UPS is getting low, and shutting down the external case
fan was enough to let the UPS run without sending low-battery warnings.
Also, here where I am, those external cases cost more than a used scsi
hdd (and they never show up in dumpsters).

--
henry nelson
 | day job: | http://www.irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html |