Subject: re: Initiating an Xserver Shutdown (NetBSD 1.6.1)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2004 17:03:37
   >> I have heard things that imply that NetBSD xsrc has gone XFree86
   >> even on ports like sparc where this doesn't really make any sense;
   > netbsd xsrc has _always_ been based on code from the XFree86 team.
   > netbsd/sparc has always used the "Xsun" family of servers.

   Are you contrasting Xsun with XFree86 code, or referring to a
   particular subset of the XFree86 stuff, or what?  This is rather
   unclear to me.

ok i think the confusion arises from "XFree86" being two things -
a group that produces release of the X system, and a particular
implementation of the X server.  here i was merely stating facts.
that netbsd's "xsrc" has always come from the code released by
the XFree86 team, and that it has always used the Xsun X server
in this code base.  we have never used the XFree86 X server code
base for sparc systems yet, though it will be needed (read: by far
easiest) to support random PCI graphics cards in PCI machines.

   > this implies that if we can make XFree86 work with these, we'll have
   > a faster result... so it may be desirable to do this.

   Again you seem to be contrasting the SPARC X servers with XFree86.  Now
   I'm confused - have SPARC X servers not been built from xsrc, or what?

here i'm talking about the XFree86 X server.

i don't have any particular preference for what code is used.  i'd
like for it to be maintained by the upstream if at all possible, and
it would also be nice if the fastest and most featureful server was
used.  (how will Xsun work for 3D on a creator3d?  i have no idea.)

.mrg.