Subject: re: Initiating an Xserver Shutdown (NetBSD 1.6.1)
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/2004 15:47:18

   >> Any suggestions about how to accomplish the same on a Sparc ?
   > I've tried to find a working key-combo on a type-4/5 kybrd but never
   > did.

   This is probably because X servers for SPARCs generally don't have such
   code in them.

   I have heard things that imply that NetBSD xsrc has gone XFree86 even
   on ports like sparc where this doesn't really make any sense; if true,
   this may mean that there will be some similar nerve-pinch.  In any
   case, you can always add it with a little bit of hacking on the X
   server's ddx layer (well, assuming you're somewhat of a C code hacker
   at all, that is).

netbsd xsrc has _always_ been based on code from the XFree86 team.
netbsd/sparc has always used the "Xsun" family of servers.  as i
understand, the "XFree86" X server code has modules for all the
sun graphics cards that includes better acceleration for many of
them than the old "Xsun" family does.  this implies that if we can
make XFree86 work with these, we'll have a faster result... so it
may be desirable to do this.

.mrg.