Subject: Re: Initiating an Xserver Shutdown (NetBSD 1.6.1)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/2004 23:13:02
>> On an i386, a user can initiate an Xserver shutdown by hitting
>> Ctr-Alt-Bksp.

Well, on an i386 with the XFree86 server.  The latter is more important
than the former, since this effect is produced with special-case code
in the X server input layer.

>> Any suggestions about how to accomplish the same on a Sparc ?
> I've tried to find a working key-combo on a type-4/5 kybrd but never
> did.

This is probably because X servers for SPARCs generally don't have such
code in them.

I have heard things that imply that NetBSD xsrc has gone XFree86 even
on ports like sparc where this doesn't really make any sense; if true,
this may mean that there will be some similar nerve-pinch.  In any
case, you can always add it with a little bit of hacking on the X
server's ddx layer (well, assuming you're somewhat of a C code hacker
at all, that is).

> Don't know if the problem is that sparc port uses the MIT X11 server
> or that on Sparcs the keyboard and mouse are controlled by a kernel
> module (I think that's right, no?).

The former is closer to the truth.

There actually is no problem, except that expectations based on the
i386 world often go unfulfilled in the non-i386 world. :-)  Coming from
the SPARC world, the notion that there would be a magic keystroke
combination to forcibly shut down the X server seems kinda weird.

Even on i386, the keyboard and mouse are controlled by kernel modules
("driver" is the more usual term), though for serial mice this may be
the same driver that handles ordinary serial lines.

Yes, the keyboard and mouse interfaces are rather different (though
wscons is trying to hide the inessential differences).  Much more
significant, though, are X server differences.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign